A brief history
Gilbert Stephens can trace its history back to a firm which was founded in the late 1800s by Henry William Gould. In 1938 the firm moved from its offices in Bedford Circus to 17 Southernhay East.
Since this date, the firm has undertaken a series of mergers and acquisitions to form today’s firm, employing over 120 people across its 8 offices in Exeter, Mid, West and East Devon:
- Amalgamated with Campion Symons & Co of Exeter on 1 January 1999.
- Merged with Mossop & Whitham with offices in Ottery St Mary and Sidmouth on 1 July 2004.
- Purchased the sole practitioner practice of Frances Canning in March 2008.
- Acquired the firm – Symes Robinson & Lee with offices in Exeter, Crediton and Budleigh on 1 July 2013.
- Acquired the firm – Veitch Penny with offices in Exeter and Crediton on 1 October 2021.